Friday, January 29, 2010

#fridayflash: Dickless


This week's #fridayflash is part three of the Jo Carter series. For previous instalments, click here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dickless
by Lily Mulholland

Jeremy rose smoothly to his feet, face set with a stiletto smile.

‘Dickless bastard? Josephine, we both know better than that now, don’t we?’

He approached the gurney upon which Jo was shackled and ran his index finger up the inside of her naked thigh, pausing in the dark patch of hair that was the only privacy she had.

Jo realised she was supposed to be scared, scared of being raped, abused, tortured. But she wasn’t; she felt empowered, strong, angry. She stoked the fires of rage with memories of their time together. How he'd strung her along, taking her out to the coolest places in town and showing her off like a pet peacock. By now she’d figured he’d targeted her at university, no doubt to get to her father. Jeremy had been a guest lecturer in one of her international relations classes and had invited the whole class out for drinks that night. She’d gone along with a dozen or so of her classmates and had felt so mature and intelligent when he’d singled her out for attention. She’d been drunk on ego and felt the shame of it still.

Her cheeks must have coloured; she felt Jeremy’s fingers thrust forcefully between her legs, threatening the soft skin lying bare beneath the fuzz.

‘Just like old times, my dear,’ he said with a leering note, 'except I see you've had a haircut.'

Jo met his look with one of sheer hatred; recoiling, Jeremy pulled his hand away. He regained his composure almost immediately, but not before Jo notched up a win to herself. She had him. He still wanted her. He was a dickless bastard and now she knew it.

‘So. It’s time to do business. Tell me who your handler is.’

‘Or what?’ Jo was feeling feisty.

‘Or I’ll kill you. But you must appreciate that Josephine. You’re not as stupid as you look.’

Was he playing that old game? He must think she was still that silly young girl, easily impressed by an older man in a flashy car. He’d done the training; he must know that she’d be impervious to these basic tactics. But, there it was again. He wasn’t thinking straight – he wanted to fuck her. God, men can be so stupid sometimes!

‘Well you’d better get it over and done with, Dickless, ‘cause I’m not telling you anything.’

‘Fine. In that case, I have someone I want you to meet.’

The door opened and in walked a man in a white coat. A white coat? You’ve got to be shitting me. So fucking stereotypical.

‘Josephine, I’d like you to meet Dr Engadeen. Dr Engadeen, this is Josephine.’

Dr Engadeen didn’t bother to look at her. He merely laid his case on a steel table adjacent to the gurney, opened it and began removing a number of small items with the care of a surgeon.

‘You’ll forgive me if I don’t get up, doc.’ Jo couldn’t help herself. The sarcasm hung in the air.

‘I’ll leave you to it, doctor. I’ll come back in ten minutes – I trust that Josephine will be more cooperative by then.’

An affirmative nod passed between the two men. Not a talker then. And I’m being watched. There must be a camera in here somewhere. Jo made a quick scan of the room. She couldn’t find the camera – it had to be hidden in the ceiling or wall somewhere. There was nothing for it. She was going to have to fight her way out.

Dr Engadeen, or whatever his real name was, approached Jo with a large syringe filled with what she could only guess was sodium pentothal. Aim for the neck you bastard.

28 comments:

  1. More suspense! I really hope she gets out of this. I like her. She's got spunk.

    Loved the little bit about the white coat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine how she'll do it, but I know that Jo Carter will fight and get herself out of this rock and a hard place situation!

    Story continues to enthrall. Has me saying, "And then...?" and not wanting to wait until next time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What will Jo do next? I like this: 'The sarcasm hung in the air.' -a nice break in the near constant flow. The 4th paragraph start is strong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes, that last line....
    Well written.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, I like this! Can't wait for the next installment to see how she gets out of the pickle she's in. Am off to read the previous installments shortly...

    ReplyDelete
  6. EEk,what is she gonna do?! I'm sure she will get out of this, she is quite a strong one! This is quite the suspenseful series you have going! Very powerful characters. It reminds me a little of Alias(TV show - loved it), but without clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love reading about tough women. Go, Jo! I hope she gives the bastard what he deserves. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah! Go Jo! I wanna know what she does to the torture guy - I bet it's gruesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Man, she's GOTTA be tough to remain sarcastic and pissed while strapped naked to a slab with some dickless bastard feelin her up. Yeeesh. (Hurry next installment!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the comments, keep 'em coming! I can promise some gruesomeness in the coming installments :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm envisioning the scene from "True Lies" when arnold is drugged and he tells the bad guys what he's about to do.... I can tell she'll get out of it in the same way. She just HAS to. Powerful women are underwritten and underrepresented in fiction. This is a great series. more please.

    Karen :0)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh hell yeah! Jo is freakin awesome. Keep em coming.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved the "stiletto smile" and all the other images and sarcasm. Well done!

    CD

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm with everyone else.... keep it coming. I'm certainly hooked. This suits perfectly serial micro-fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Intense, tight writing. Great character here. So sorry I missed the first two installments. I'll go back and pick them up. So, short story, novella, or novel?
    ~jon

    ReplyDelete
  16. Another breathless ending, Lily! I love her attitude. How is she going to get out of this and what will she do to 'dickless'?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm hooked. This would make a terrific novel. I'm already cheering for Josephine! The suspense carries you through this piece so quickly and your characters are vivid. Really good.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've no idea how she's going to get out of this one, but she's too spunky not to! Can't wait to see what happens next!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great thrillers always paint their protag's into a corner and my dear, you are an expert painter here! Well done, I'm rooting for Josephine! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the absolute daring in this. A well laid-out situation, and yes, I'm now hooked as well. You're such an awesome writer!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'd say she's in deep trouble, but I can't wait to find out where this is going to go.

    ReplyDelete
  22. what a sicko. I hope she gets loose and kicks Jeremy between the legs!

    ReplyDelete
  23. A really exciting chapter with a strongly portrayed protagonist - this story definitely makes me want to keep reading, it's highly frustrating not
    knowing what will happen next!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very interesting... how will she get out of this? (I ask myself wishing it was next Friday already) :)
    Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I shuttered at the picture of the "tools," and your story followed through with some serious tension. Some of these scenes made me quite uncomfortable, which means that you did a great job with them! Jo kicks ass! ~Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  26. She's a feisty one, that's for sure. Another good installment. I'm looking forward to seeing how she gets out of this.

    ReplyDelete
  27. How on earth is she going to get out of this one?!
    I had a chuckle at the "you've had a haircut" line!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ooo -- I'm hooked. Can't wait for the next installment.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments so please do leave one! I would also appreciate your constructive criticism - life is a learning journey and I'm enjoying learning a lot about my writing.